Friday, February 4, 2011

pedal cars

I see where people making pedal cars bend the crank from solid. Now if you get two sets of  bicycle cranks and set them up on a single piece of solid rod and grind where the cotter pins go, then the pedal can be set up. Drilling out the threads and sliding threw a suitable rod and weld this in place putting in the pedal tread before welding. when the whole thing is together cut the main axil to make the crankshaft,Just like a car crankshaft but not as heavy. The big ends are where the pedal treads go. There can be three main bearings but I think two would be enough. This should run true to a couple of thou. I will make one and show pictures as time permits. If you have trouble post a comment and I will get back to you.

1 comment:

Jas said...

Would love to see any projects you've done with this type of crank setup. The idea of a nice sized pedal car (not a toddler toy, but for older kids) has always been a neat concept but making it strong enough is a challenge. I'm considering converting ours to be electric, or then again I may just build another one. Shhh, don't tell my wife.