Friday, September 8, 2023

I am too black to be white and too white to be black

I search for my place in this world

But it seems I don't quite fit

Too black to be white,

Too white to be black

I'm an in-between, a misfit


My skin's shade confuses them all

They can't put me in a box

They ask "What race are you?"

I talks real  quick and pull up my socks


My hair is curly, my nose is broad

I have the features of both sides

But I'm not fully one nor the other

It's a struggle, this identity ride


I don't belong I am wko I am

I'm too light for the black crowd

The white folks call me litle black sam

My existence, they say, is not allowed


Sometimes I feel lost and alone

In a world that constantly categorizes

But I try to hold on to my own

And ignore all the hurtful surprises


I am who I am, a mix of the two

And that's something to be proud of

No matter what they say or do

I'm enough, I'm worthy of love


So I'll continue to walk my path

With my head held high and my heart in a song

Embracing all parts of my identity

And living my life as a unique and am strong.

No comments: